KTU B.Tech S4 Lecture Notes on EE206 MATERIAL SCIENCE
- Conducting Materials: Conductivity- dependence on temperature and composition – Materials for electrical applications such as resistance, machines, solders etc.
- Semiconductor Materials: Concept, materials and properties- – Basic ideas of Compound semiconductors, amorphous and organic semiconductors- applications.
- Dielectrics: Introduction to Dielectric polarization and classification –Clausius Mosotti relation-
- Behavior of dielectric in static and alternating fields
- Insulating materials and classification- properties- Common insulating materials used in electrical apparatus-Inorganic, organic, liquid and gaseous insulators capacitor materials
- Electro-negative gases- properties
- application of SF6 gas and its mixtures with nitrogen
- Ferro electricity.
- Dielectric Breakdown: Mechanism of breakdown in gases, liquids and solids
- basic theories including Townsend’s criterion, Streamer mechanism, suspended particle theory, intrinsic breakdown, electro-mechanical breakdown
- Factors influencing Ageing of insulatorsApplication of vacuum insulation
- Breakdown in high vacuum-Basics of treatment and testing of transformer oil .
- Magnetic Materials: Origin of permanent magnetic dipoles
- Classification of magnetic materials
- Curie-Weiss law
- Properties and application of iron, alloys of iron
- Hard and soft magnetic materials
- Magnetic materials used in electrical machines, instruments and relays
- Superconductor Materials:-Basic Concept- types characteristics-applications
- Solar Energy Materials: Photo thermal conversionSolar selective coatings for enhanced solar thermal energy collection –Photovoltaic conversion
- Solar cells -Silicon, Cadmium sulphide and Gallium arsenic – Organic solar cells
- Modern Techniques for materials studies: Optical microscopy
- Electron microscopy – Photo electron spectroscopy – Atomic absorption spectroscopy – Introduction to Biomaterials Nanomaterials