KTU B.Tech S4 Lecture Notes Analog Communication Engineering
- Introduction, elements of communication system, time and frequency domains, Need for modulation
- Noise in communication system, shot noise, thermal noise, white noise, partition noise, flicker noise, burst noise, signal to noise ratio, noise figure, noise temperature
- narrow band noise, representation in terms of in-phase and quadrature components, envelope and phase components, sine wave plus narrow band noise.
- Amplitude modulation: Sinusoidal AM modulation index, Average power, Effective voltage and current
- Nonsinusoidal modulation
- Amplitude modulator circuits, Amplitude demodulator circuit
- AM transmitters
- AM Receiver
- super heterodyne receiver, detector, tuning range, tracking, sensitivity and gain, Image rejection, double conversion, adjacent channel rejection, Automatic Gain Control (AGC).
- Single Sideband Modulation,Principles, Balanced Modulators, Singly & Doubly Balanced Modulators
- SSB Generation, Filter Method, Phasing Method & Third Method
- SSB Reception, Modified SSB Systems
- Pilot Carrier SSB & ISB, Companded SSB
- Angle modulation: Frequency modulation, Sinusoidal FM, Frequency spectrum, modulation index ,average power, Non-sinusoidal modulation, deviation ratio, comparison of AM and FM
- Phase modulation, Equivalence between PM and FM
- Sinusoidal Phase Modulation, Digital Phase Modulation.
- Angle modulator Circuits : Varactor Diode Modulators
- Transistors Modulators
- FM Transmitters: Direct & Indirect Methods.
- FM receiver, slope detector,
- Ratio Detector,
- balanced slope detector,
- FosterSeeley discriminator,
- Quadrature detector
- PLL demodulator,
- Automatic Frequency Control, Amplitude limiters,
- Pre-emphasis and De-emphasis,
- Effect of noise in analog communication Systems- AM Systems, DSBSC AM, SSB AM, Angle modulation,
- Threshold Effect in Angle modulation.
- Telephone systems, standard telephone set, basic call procedures and tones, DTMF, cordless telephones.