KTU B.Tech S4 Lecture Notes – Operating Systems
- Introduction: Functions of an operating system. Single processor, multiprocessor and clustered systems – overview. Kernel Data Structures – Operating Systems used in different computing environments.
- Operating System Interfaces and implementation – User Interfaces, System Calls – examples. Operating System implementation – approaches. Operating System Structure – Monolithic, Layered, Micro-kernel, Modular.
- System Boot process.
- Process Management: Process Concept – Processes-States – Process Control Block – Threads. Scheduling – Queues – Schedulers – Context Switching. Process Creation and Termination.
- Inter Process Communication: Shared Memory, Message Passing, Pipes
- Process Synchronization: Critical SectionPeterson’s solution. Synchronization – Locks, Semaphores, Monitors, Classical Problems – Producer Consumer, Dining Philosophers and Readers-Writers Problems
- CPU Scheduling – Scheduling Criteria – Scheduling Algorithms.
- Deadlocks – Conditions, Modeling using graphs. Handling – Prevention – Avoidance – DetectionRecovery.
- Memory Management: Main Memory – Swapping – Contiguous Memory allocation – Segmentation – Paging – Demand paging
- Storage Management: Overview of mass storage structure- disks and tapes. Disk structure – accessing disks. Disk scheduling and management. Swap Space.
- File System Interface: File Concepts – Attributes – operations – types – structure – access methods. File system mounting.Protection. File system implementation. Directory implementation – allocation methods. Free space Management.
- Protection– Goals, Principles, Domain. Access Matrix