MUSALIAR COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY
FIRST SEMESTER MODEL EXAMINATION
Time:3 hrs. Max:100 marks
PART A (Answer All Questions. Each questions carries 2 marks )
- What is electromagnetic radiation? Arrange the following electromagnetic radiation according to their increasing wave length.
UV- visible, Radio waves, cosmic rays, infra – red and microwaves.
- What is the electrode potential of Ca<sup>2+,</sup>/Ca electrode in which the concentration of Ca <sup>2+,</sup> is 0.01m.
E<sup>0</sup> Ca<sup>2+,</sup>/Ca = -2.87V
- Give 2 applications of DTA
- Write important properties and uses of polybutadiene.
- Distinguish between Octane number and Cetane number.
- What is meant by Calorific value of fuels?
- Hardness of a solution is 1000ppm. Calculate its Molarity.
- What is reverse osmosis where it is applied?
PART B (Answer All Questions. Each questions carries 3 marks )
- Draw the high resolution spectra of CH3CH2OH.
- What is meant by potentiometric titrations ? Mention the merits of potentiometric titrations.
- What do you mean by RF value ? Give the application of TLC
- What is OLED? How is it obtained ? What are their uses?
- Distinguish between a) Viscosity and viscosity index b)Flash and fire points
- A coal has the following composition by weight: C= 92%,O=2.0%,S=0.5%,N=0.5% and ash= 1.5%.Net calorific value of the coal was found to be 9430k cal/kg. calculate the percentage of hydrogen and higher calorific value of coal.
- 20ml of standard water containing 15 g of calcium carbonate per litre required 25ml of EDTA solutions for titration.100ml of water sample required 18ml EDTA solution, while same water after boiling required 12ml EDTA solution. Calculate CH and NCH of water.
- Give any three points of difference between BOD and COD
PART C(Each questions carries 10 marks)
- i) What is Beer Lambert’s law? Explain the terms involved. What are its limitations?
ii) The percentage of transmittance of an aqueous solution of chromium complex at its wave length is 19.2% for a 5×10<sup>-4</sup> molar solution in a 1cm cell. Calculate the absorbance. What is its molar absorption coefficient?
- i) Write the principle of IR spectroscopy. How many modes of vibration are their in the polyatomic molecules.
ii) Define the term Chemical shift and list the factors which affect chemical shift. Why TMS is used as a standard reference to determine chemical shift?
iii) What are the different types of electronic transition?
iv) What do you mean by spin-spin coupling constant ? write the splitting pattern of the following compound
19.Describe the construction, working and application of Calomel electrode
20 What is a fuel cell? Describe the working of hydrogen oxygen and fuel cell.
21 i) Write briefly on HPLC with mention on the analytical column and the detector used.
ii) Draw the differential Thermogram of a polymer showing the changes
iii) What do you mean by conductivity ? How it is determined?
22.Give the principle of TGA. What are the main components o TGA apparatus?
Draw the TGA of decomposition of hydrated calcium oxalate.
23.Explain different types of conducting polymers and their properties.
24.Write a note on: a) Fullerenes b) Carbon nanotubes
25.What are Lubricants? Explain the classifications of Lubricants.
- How can we experimentally determine the gross calorific value of solid fuel?
- i) Explain the Degree of hardness and its determination by EDTA method
ii) What are the different water softening methods?
- i)What are disinfectants? How are they useful in water treatment ?
ii) What do you mean by UASB process ? How is it useful in waste water treatment.